The following information was kindly supplied by the Binfield Club from an article written in 1959. Some of the persons mentioned herein, are sadly no longer with us, but remembered as part of our village.
Lets look in at the Binfield Social Club. A popular meeting place for men with a history of over 70 years.
Situated at the main cross roads, and one of the villages' landmarks, Binfield Social Club has been providing recreation and relaxation for local menfolk for more than 70 years. Now held in Trust, rented from the Caswell family, who lived at Binfield Place, now occupied by Mr & Mrs Richard Dennis.
At one time the club consisted of a small-sized clubroom, a committee room and Stewards' Living Quarters. It was lengthened over the years to come and a gamesroom provided, plus improvements to the bar.
Ever since the members and trustees bought the freehold of the club premises in 1918, the facilities have been improved. It was about 35 years ago that the gamesroom (already referred to) was added, and at about the same time the late Mr C.B. Crisp, who lived at Moor Close, presented the second of two billiard tables. In those days people generally made entertainment for themselves than was provided for them, smoking concerts and sing-songs were a feature of club life, as were weekly game tournaments. The backbone of the club has always been the village's sporting element.
For as long as anyone can recall, football and cricket club members have gathered there socially and made their headquarters for meetings etc. And needles to say, many old players have happy memories of when local football cups have been borne home in triumph - the happiest perhaps, being when Berks and Bucks junior, Maindenhead and Norfolkian and Great Western Combination trophies were brought back in the spring of 1947. In addition to the cricket and football sections, the Carnival committee used the club for meetings and before the days of elaborate pavilions and shower baths, the committee room was put to goo use as a changing room for footballers. During the war it was Headquarters post of A.R.P. (Air Raid Precaution).
For some time the club seemed to loose some of it's popularity, but recently there had been an upsurge in membership, and new members are constantly joining.
Most reassuring to the committee is the fact that so many lads are now enrolling immediately they become 17.
Mr W.E. Burman, who for so many years has been a friend to the village's sporting life, was president of the club for about 12 years until he resigned in January 1958. He has been succeeded by Mr V.E. Goldsmid, who as president, has played such a great part in Binfield's more recent carnivals.
Mr Ted Baker was at one time the oldest member and was connected with the club for 53 years, for many of them, he was Treasurer.
Great supporters of the club in by-gone days were the village school masters and clergy, and it has often provided pleasure for visiting workmen. In appreciation of the happy days they spent there some 30 years ago, employees of the building firm presented the club with two framed pictures which hang in a prominent position on the main wall. The club is equipped with gas for heating and electricity for lighting and has TV. and radio. The members are well looked after by the steward Mr John Willoughby and his wife, Joyce, who with their eight year old son, Peter, live on the premises. Locally born, John was a carpenter with C.B. Davies & Co.
Hon. Secretary of the club was Mr Harry Campball, who at the last Annual General Meeting was praised for the part he had played in its revival, and Treasurer, Mr Roy Honnor.
Among the long-standing members are the brothers Tom and Jack Day, Percy Willmott, Arthur Penton, "Happy Day" White, Bill Penton, "Colonel" Brown, George Evans, Bill Silvester and Walter Dopson, while youngsters Nicky Campball, Jim Silvesters, Garth Hawkins and others have joined and thus followed in their fathers footsteps.
The Old Days
Unlike today when membership is around the 80 mark, it is said that the club's first steward received the princely wage of 12's a month. The fortunes of the club have fluctuated over the years and one or two members can recall the 1914-18 war days when committee members, such as the late Henry Cooke, Mr John Jones, Mr George Jones and Mr W.B. Webster, took turns to provide the week's firing.
Things have certainly changed since the old days at the club, both men and women have membership. Children are allowed. There is live music, private functions and the British Legion, Binfield Branch now have their base there (one time based at the Scout Hut). Still those days are remembers, and those old enough to remember old members can reflect back on the "good old days" and smile. The Binfield Club has come a long way since it began all those years ago, but remains the centre of the village.
Article written March 1959